Composition for Jazz Orchestra
In the course you get to compose major works for jazz orchestra in collaboration with Norrbotten Big Band.
This is the course for you who has a Bachelor's degree and want to immerse yourself in composition within the jazz genre.
General entry requirements for second cycle studies or equivalent. Selection takes place after admission tests.
You will learn to compose major works for jazz orchestras and to explain in detail the work idea, material and composition process. You should also be able to interpret repertoire in dialogue with conductor and practitioner.
You get tutoring in composing your own work based on these key concepts:
- compositional methods,
- practice for improvisation,
- genre-specific notation.
Theoretical teaching and lectures are given at KMH in Stockholm. Norrbottensmusiken provides the Norrbotten Big Band to perform the practical work as an orchestra with workshop meetings between students and orchestra.
The course is examined with an oral and written presentation of the composition process together with an artistic presentation.
Schedule for lectures and workshops, spring 2020
All lectures and and workshops are mandatory with no exceptions!
Lectures at Kungliga Musikhögskolan in Stockholm
- Lecture 1: Wednesday 22 January, 13.00-17.00
- Lecture 2: Wednesday 12 February, 13.00-17.00
- Lecture 3: Wednesday 4 March, 13.00-17.00
Workshops and rehearsals with Norrbotten Big Band in Luleå, Sweden
- Workshop 1 Tuesday, 17 March 2020, 13.00-18.00
- Workshop 2 Wednesday 18 March 2020,10.00-16.00
- Workshop 3 Thursday 19 March, 2020, 12.00-19.00 (may be subject to change, workshop 3 is a concert and/or a recording session)