Exchange student – study abroad

As a registered student at KMH you have the possibility to apply to be nominated for a student exchange abroad. KMH has exchange agreements as part of Erasmus+ with multiple institutions across Europe. KMH also forms part of the Nordplus agreement with partners in four Nordic networks for student exchange. It is also possible for you to organise your studies abroad independently.

There are many benefits of studying abroad as an exchange student: you avoid paying term fees to the exchange institution, you will get your exchange studies credited by KMH, receive support from KMH with your application process etc.

Exchange studies are an excellent opportunity for you to develop your academic and/or performance abilities, improve language skills, meet new people as well as acquiring credits from abroad.

If you have a disability there are additional grants for the costs that can arise from studies abroad.

Studies abroad are expected to be undertaken in the term when your exchange programme has most optional courses. This simplifies your study planning within the exchange institution, and as such you will have more choices of study at KMH’s partner universities.

Studies via Erasmus+ and bilateral agreements

Programme students at KMH can apply for exchange studies abroad for a semester or for a full academic year. KMH offers exchange studies with our exchange partner institutions, of which the majority are part of the Erasmus+ programme. Additionally, KMH has a few agreements outside of Erasmus, and these are called bilateral agreements.

Erasmus+ is the largest exchange programme within higher education institutions in Europe. It is financed by the EU-commission. The exchange is built upon an exchange agreement between two higher education institutions.

About the exchange positions

The exchange period must have a length of minimum 90 days/1 semester and maximum 12 months/academic year, on a base or advanced level. In an Erasmus+ exchange the following benefits are included:

  • A grant towards part of the additional costs of exchange studies.
  • Study funding from CSN.
  • Credits from completed courses on return to KMH, which are later added to the final examination credits from KMH.
  • Kammarkollegiets student-UT insurance.
  • Support with acquiring accommodation at the exchange institution abroad.

The application process for studies within such bilateral agreements are similar to Erasmus. The only difference is that there are no Erasmus grants available.

Exchange positions are advertised once a year, in December/January for studies commencing within the following academic year.

How to apply

Institutions and agreements

The overview of current agreements and networks in Europe is updated continuously.

Current universities and agreements

Internships abroad via Erasmus+

As a student at KMH you can apply for Erasmus+ internship grants and funding. The internship should be undertaken abroad in a country that is a member of the Erasmus+ programme.

Different internships:

  • Part of your programme at KMH
    Meant for students who are undertaking exam work/ independent work. The internship should be used for collecting material for the final project work. The internship should be approved by your course/ project supervisor. The internship is considered eligible for academic points if it can be clearly linked to your independent project / exam work.
  • On your own initiative
    The internship is not part of your programme at KMH and is therefore not delegated academic points. It can instead be useful work experience and is best undertaken over the summer recess. The internship should be relevant to your programme at KMH and should be approved by the director of studies.

It is possible for students studying for their final semester at KMH- and of whom have not applied to sit their final exam- to apply for funding for an internship abroad and take this internship after finishing their studies at KMH. This internship does not qualify for academic points but should be relevant to your programme at KMH and should be approved by the Director of Studies.


  • You must be a registered student at KMH at the time of your application.
  • You must not have completed an exchange study/internship that exceeds 12 months at the same educational level.
  • You must yet have to sit your final exam at KMH.
  • You can intern at a college, organisation or company from 2 to 12 months. Such an internship is organised by you independently, and must have a connection to your exam work or in some other way be relevant to your studies at KMH.

Fill in the application form and send to the international coordinator, either by post (see the sidenote) or by email to

Any questions that arise should be directed to

The applications are ongoing – first come, first served!

Application form: Learning Agreement – Student Mobility for Traineeships Word, 89.8 kB, opens in new window.


Nordplus is a cooperative agreement between higher education institutions in the Nordic countries and Baltics and is financed by the Nordic Council of Ministers. Nordplus is built on cooperation within the subject network. Within the network there are possibilities for shorter exchanges, the so-called ‘expressmobilitet’.

KMH is part of four different Nordic-Baltic subject networks:

  • Sibelius, classical music.
  • Nordplus, jazz.
  • Nordtrad, folk music.
  • NNME, music pedagogy.

Contact your Director of Studies for further information.

International VFU

KMH has an agreement with the Lady Greys Arts Academy in South Africa that makes the International VFU possible. This is only applicable for students that currently are studying music education.

Internationell VFU (in Swedish)

Organising your studies abroad independently

If you choose to independently organise studies abroad, you will have to organise these studies at your own initiative. This means you will have to plan what you will study, what this entails, as well as inform yourself on how to apply for such a study position, how to finance such studies, finding accommodation and insurance, etc.

Do discuss your choice of courses and independent learning priorities with your Director of Studies whilst at KMH. It is always best to plan such exchange studies in advance.