Housing and insurance

The Royal College of Music /KMH does not guarantee housing in Stockholm for incoming exchange students but it is possible for exchange students and international programme students to apply for housing via the organisation DIS Study Abroad.

Here is the link to the website with more information and the application: https://disabroad.org/stockholm/semester/housing-options/ External link.

DIS Study Abroad has rooms for rent in student corridors, rooms to share with another student, apartments to share and rooms in families on offer in for example the following areas: Årsta, Sollentuna and Södermalm.

KMH student rooms

KMH manages a limited number of student rooms in Stockholm. If you are accepted as an exchange student, we will e-mail you all the details you need on how to apply.

The rooms are provided with a private bathroom including shower. They are furnished with a bed (with mattress), wardrobes, a desk, a chair and sometimes a bookshelf.

Only one person is allowed to live in the room.

The rooms are situated in corridors with several neighbours on the same floor, sharing a big combined kitchen and dining room. The kitchen is equipped to suit the number of people in the corridor, with several cookers, fridges and common kitchenware.

Rent and deposit

The rent for our rooms varies from 5,000 to 5,200 SEK per month, including

  • water
  • heating
  • electricity
  • internet access (connect by router and cable, sometimes this is left by former students but it is not guaranteed so you might have to bring/buy your own)

To get a sublease contract for one of our rooms, we request a deposit in advance of 3,000 SEK. The deposit will be refunded when you leave the room, if the room is left in the same condition as when you moved in.

In order to rent one of our student rooms you must be a member of the student association at KMH, KMS. The membership costs 200 SEK.

Housing areas

Our rooms are located in SSSB’s student residences in Lappkärrsberget External link. close to Stockholm University, and Jerum External link. at Gärdet.

Health Insurance Card

Exchange students from EU/EEA Member States should bring their European Health Insurance Card External link., issued by the social insurance office in the home country. The card states that you are entitled to health care on the same conditions and at the same price as permanent residents in Sweden.


In order to avoid extreme costs that might occur, we strongly recommend students to have a complete insurance cover. The Legal, Financial and Administrative Services Agency (Kammarkollegiet) provides a personal injury insurance and the Student IN.

Personal injury insurance

All higher education students studying in Sweden are covered by the personal injury insurance, a general student insurance that is obtained on behalf of universities and colleges within the state insurance system. The insurance applies in Sweden during school hours and during direct travels to and from school and your residence address.

Student IN

In addition incoming exchange students are covered by the Swedish State´s Insurance for Foreign Students in Sweden, an insurance providing cover for medical expenses and a certain amount of accident cover. The cover applies twenty-four hours a day.

FAS+ for fee paying students

Tuition fee paying student admitted to a KMH´s master's programme or a student holding a KMH Scholarship, KMH provides you with a comprehensive insurance called FAS+.


It is difficult for students that are staying in Sweden for less than 12 months to open up a Swedish bank account. Please use your national bank account and bank card for money transactions and withdrawals from ATM´s (“bankomat” in Swedish). International debit and credit cards are commonly accepted in Sweden.

The easiest way of paying your bills is by transfer by your national banks on-line banking service. If this is not available for you, please contact your bank about alternatives.

NB. Never bring personal checks to Sweden, since they will not be accepted. Nor should you bring large amounts in foreign currency as banks are reluctant to accept large amounts in cash.