Visa and residence permits

In order to study in Sweden, you may need to apply for a visa and/or a residence permit.

On the Swedish Migration Agency's website you can find all information you need.

Swedish Migration Agency External link, opens in new window.

Nordic citizens and EU/EEA citizens

As an EU citizen you have the right to study, work or live in Sweden without a residence permit and you do not need to contact the Swedish Migration Agency. Nordic citizens can live and work in Sweden without registration of residence or a work permit.

Swiss Citizens

If you are a citizen of Switzerland you must apply for a residence permit upon arrival if you are staying in Sweden for more than three months.

Non- EU/EEA citizens

Students from outside EU/EEA must apply for a residence permit for studies from the Swedish Migration Agency. Applications for a residence permit can under no circumstances be submitted after entering Sweden. The application can be done on-line on the Migration Agency's website.

If you need an entry visa in order to travel to Sweden you need to contact the closest Swedish Embassy or Consulate- general to set up an appointment.

Follow the procedure specified at the Migration Agency´s website.